Parent Teacher Association » Opportunities for Our Students

Opportunities for Our Students

June 1, 2022
Free Summer Gym Membership for Teens at Planet Fitness
Free Programs for our Students
Sort by grade level, location, subject, and/or schedule.  After school, weekends, summer.  You'll be amazed by all the programs listed.



May 26, 2022


Student Poll Worker Application - NYC Board of Elections


To participate in this program, you must meet the following requirements:

  •  Be 17 years old by Election Day and get permission from school official and parent/guardian.
  •  Be a U.S. Citizen.
  •  Bilingual students fluent in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Hindi and Bengali are encouraged to apply!
  •  Attend school in New York City.
  •  Have a GPA of at least 2.5 (B or 80).
  •  Register to be a "future voter."

Poll workers are required to attend a four hour training class; classes are available on Saturdays and Sundays at each borough office. You will be paid $ 100.00 for attending the class and passing the exam as well as working one election event.

On Election Day, if you are working the full day, report to your assigned polling place at 5:00AM and work until the polls close, you will be paid $250 for the full day. If you are assigned to the peak hour assistance shift, report to your assigned polling place at 3:00PM and work until the polling place closes, you will be paid $125.00.

The advantages to this program include:

  •  Earn up to $600.00 to work two elections and take the training class.
  •  Get job experience for your resume: shows both colleges and potential employers you have a record of responsibility, teamwork and leadership.
  •  Fulfill school requirements: hours worked may count toward your school’s community service graduation requirements.
  •  Learn about the election process first-hand.

Executive Office

32-42 Broadway, 7 Fl New York, NY 10004 Tel 1-212-487-5400


118-35 Queens Boulevard, 11 Fl

 Forest Hills, NY 11375 Tel 1-718-730-6730 Fax 1-718-459-3384


1780 Grand Concourse, 5 Fl Bronx, NY 10457 Tel 1-718-299-9017 Fax 1-718-299-2140


200 Varick Street, 10 Fl New York, NY 10014 Tel 1-212-886-2100 Fax 1-646-638-2047


345 Adams Street, 4 Fl Brooklyn, NY 11201 Tel 1-718-797-8800 Fax 1-718-246-5958

Staten Island 1 Edgewater Plaza, 4 Fl Staten Island, NY 10305 Tel 1-718-876-0079 Fax 1-718-876-0912



April 11, 2022



Apply by 4/19 for Exciting STEM Summer Enrichment Programs!

Full STEAM ahead this summer! Students entering kindergarten through grade 12 in September 2022 can apply now to attend FREE enrichment programs with STEM Matters NYC and get their hands dirty in the garden, encounter amazing animals, or design an art or engineering project. Students entering kindergarten through grade 9 in September 2022 can apply for camps. Students entering grades 10-12 in September 2022 can apply for STEM courses and internships. Choose from a  wide range of programs offered at sites throughout the city!  

Programs are offered at the NYC Department of Education’s Genovesi Environmental Study Center and NYC Center for Aerospace and Applied Mathematics; Bronx Zoo; Central Park Zoo; Intrepid, Sea, Air & Space Museum; Makerspace NYC; New York Aquarium; Pellettieri Stone Carvers’ Academy; Prospect Park Zoo; Queens Zoo; Rocking the Boat; Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden; Staten Island Museum; Staten Island Zoo; The Battery Conservancy; UrbanGlass and Wave Hill.

Students will meet and work with field experts in programs that feature real-world learning experiences. 

Don’t miss out, spots are limited and the application deadline is Tuesday, April 19. Preference is given to students who attend Title I schools. Download our flyer, learn more, and apply now. For questions, contact [email protected].

Student Working Papers

Interested in applying to SYEP for the summer?  Thinking of getting a job on your own?

See Dilyon for assistance in obtaining your working papers first.

Even if you are not interested in working, it is good practice to get them.


If you are aged 14-17 you will need an employment certificate, also called working papers, in order to hold a job in New York State.

This rule covers:

  • High school graduates
  • Minors who work for their parents
  • Minors who do industrial homework

Working papers are divided into two age groups (14-15 and 16-17):

14-15-year-olds - Your working papers are blue. If you are 14 and 15 years old, you are issued these working papers because you are not allowed to work in a factory.

16-17-year-olds (in school) - Your working papers are green. The difference between 14-15 year old working papers and 16-17 year old working papers is that you are allowed to work in a factory. You cannot work around certain machines, do construction work, help on a motor vehicle, clean, oil, wipe, or adjust belts on machinery.

16-17-year-olds (out of school) - Your working papers are peach. If you are 16 to 17 years old and are not in school or are leaving school for full time employment, you will need these working papers. You are allowed to work in a factory, cannot work around certain machines, do construction work, help on a motor vehicle, or clean, oil, wipe, or adjust belts on machinery.